Monday, August 18, 2003

Not a groupie?


The word "groupie" has such a negative connotation so I decided to look it up on dictionary.com.
Here is the official definition:

group·ie ( P ) Pronunciation Key (grp)
n. Slang
1. A fan, especially a young woman, who follows a rock group around on tours.
2. An enthusiastic supporter or follower: a ballet groupie; a fashion groupie.

Why, may you ask, did I bother looking the definition up? Well, everytime I promote wakingNorman, I am asked if I am a groupie. I was called a groupie last night...AGAIN!!!! It bothers me because "groupie" indicates that you hang with the band and try to get some. That is not what I am about. I was asked to help out with marketing communications, ie. getting flyers and posters, and the word out about when and where the guys are playing. No, I am not getting paid, but it's just a matter of time. I want to help out as much as I can. I think this group is amazing and the world will soon know. However, reading the definition...then yes, I am a groupie and proud to be one! =)

No comments: